Where's Frau Schmidt

Where's Frau Schmidt
I AM HERE!

Friday, January 1, 2010

So, they call me an expat?

I've been called a lot of things over the last 40 years of my life, but an expat is new to my vocabulary.  I've heard the term many times...but quite honestly don't have a clue to it's actual definition.  So here goes: an expat, short for expatriate is someone who lives outside of their home country.  So - I am an American Expat in Deutschland - aka - Germany.  As you know, Tim's job has brought us abroad.  I am looking at it as an amazing adventure...with three kids in tow!  I do have to admit - I did hear "what an amazing opportunity" a few too many times...but what do you say?  My new normal will be "Deutschland" normal....and I'm up to the challenge.  Heck, with a name like Schmidt what better place to be.  
I have been preparing for this move for about 3 months.  I have moved (as a family) 9 times prior to this international assignment....so how hard can this be?  Well..think again Frau Schmidt....it has been a roller coaster, and I think I'm actually to the end of this first ride......just picturing those friendly men in ears at Disney World when I got off Space Mountain the first time....I made it!  
So...I won't bore you with all the preparation details....my friends and family have been there with me....all the details....all the purging....all the planning!  
Now - before you read on.....I promise to not make this one of those boring...let me tell you everything about myself types of blogs...but I have had several requests to write a little something.....so I'm running with it!  I am keeping a journal that I write in each day....but along with that I plan on keeping this little blogsite going with some of the interesting 'goings on' that are happening along this journey.  So pour yourself a cup of coffee...or maybe a stiff drink (since I tend to be a little long-winded) and enjoy!  
Before I begin...just a big, huge thank you to my faithful friends and family who have helped me get this far on this abenteuer (adventure). 

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year! What a great idea! I'm looking forward to being a "follower" and reading all about your "excellent" adventures! I rang in the New Year's with AC360 and he had some footage from around the world, which included the Brandenburg Gates in Germany (lots of raised beer steins), and of course I thought of you guys..Hope you had a wonderful holiday and here's to a healthy, adventure-filled 2010! Miss you! xo Cheryl

    ReplyDelete